The Schapiro Reserve is 39 acres of unimproved land donated to SMHT in January 2017. SMHT plans to make the property accessible to the public in 2017 with a small place to park, a display board with site information and a hiking trail. The anticipated loop hiking trail will be an easy to moderate, multiple surface hike that most people should have little difficulty completing. It will wind through tall grass fields, along wetlands, under light young growth wood with single and double canopy and along the tow path of the West Branch Feeder of the Chenango Canal. The scenic view from the parking area itself is spectacular. This newest addition to the Southern Madison Land Trust is another step in providing educational and recreation opportunities while conserving natural resources in Southern Madison County.
The Reserve will be open from dawn to dusk when the improvements are completed later in 2017.
The Reserve has many characteristics that meet SMHT’s criteria for conservation.
- Abandoned railroad bed once owned by the New York, Ontario and Western Railway. More...
- West Branch Feeder of the Chenango Canal; More...
- Wetlands once the location of an ice pond in the 19th and early 20th centuries – anecdotal evidence.
- Viewscape across the valley includes part of Colgate University campus
- Protection of steep slopes, canal, open space